1. It is also known as bad breath or fetor oris .
2. It is estimated to affect 25 percent of people.
3. The most common cause is bad oral hygiene.
4. Keeping the mouth hydrated can reduce mouth odour.
5. Best prevention is regular brushing,flossing, hydration and dental checks with professional cleaning (scaling and polishing ).
WHAT IS HALITOSIS
Halitosis is a condition in which a person emanates an unattractive odour from the mouth.
The everyday “morning breath” most people wake up to is not halitosis. True halitosis is persistent and does not go with brushing.
1.Cavities(holes in the teeth)
2. Gum disease.
3. Cracked fillings.
4. Less than clean dentures.
5. High protein/ low carbohydrate diet.
6. Acidic foods.
7. Onions and garlic
1. Lung disease
2. Tonsil infection
3. Kidney disease.
4. Blood disorders.
TREATMENT OF HALITOSIS
1. Brushing; regularly (at least twice daily )
3. Tongue brushing and scraping
4. Regular dental checks with cleaning (scaling and polishing twice a year)
REMEMBER: Brushing alone cleans 25% of your mouth